So, I feel like I am on a bit of a strange journey… and I want to share it with you because I’m sure many of us are on this journey. I’m calling it my Empty Nest Journey.
Now that the holiday is over and we are really full swing into the summer months, many of us are preparing for our kids to go for the first time. Off to college, off to a new job, off to somewhere else!
It’s exciting, and it’s scary, and it fills me with so many questions.
- Now What?
- Where do I want to invest my time?
- What things do I enjoy doing for me?
- What do I want to do to earn sustainable income?
- How can I lose all this weight and get healthy?
- In what areas do I want to contribute to society?
- What kind of groups, hobbies do I want to enjoy?
- Do I want to get a pet?
- Where do I want to visit?
The list just goes on and on of questions that pop into my head! As many of you may or may not know, I have been a professional foster parent for 17 plus years. In that time most of my thought and energy has been focused on my kids, and of course my work online.
The other day, I went to fill out a profile form on a forum that I joined. There was a box to fill in for “Interests”, and I really couldn’t think of anything I wanted to put in that box! And then I thought, how sad… I am 45 years old and I don’t really have any interests of my own, outside of my kids, and being online.
So one of my new goals (and it may sound a bit strange) is to find some things that I want to share in that box. Interests. hmmmm….
As the time to having kids in my home is drawing to a close, each day becomes a new step on the empty nest journey for me. I guess blogging about it here, sharing my thoughts has 3 purposes.
- To share my thoughts with others who are going through the same thing as I am. To share things that I discover, get a community discussion going on being in a new empty nest.
- To keep me accountable – I am very much an introvert, and do enjoy being at home. But I DON’T want to get so comfortable in my home that I don’t venture out to try and do new things. To expand my knowledge of me. To meet new people. Find new ways that I can bring value.
- To have FUN!
This really is an Empty Nest Journey… and of course, I am inviting you to join me along that journey. I would love to get a discussion going for all of the empty nesters who are in the same situation as me.
Please join me on Facebook to continue the discussion.
P.S. Have you taken a minute to subscribe? Get even more great content directly to your inbox.